No matter the product or industry, everyone can benefit from a green office. Operating a green business is not only good for the environment but good for a business’s bottom line. Big and small, there are simple things you can do to run an environmentally friendly business.
A Squared Group (www.hiptobesquared.com) is committed to incorporating eco-friendly best practices wherever possible to prevent waste, reduce overhead costs and increase awareness of living an eco-friendly lifestyle. Here are a few easy-to-implement ideas that have helped A2G become a little “greener” over the years:
- Recycle paper and plastics. Products do not need to be separated (except for food waste) since the recycling teams sort and separate by plastic, glass, etc.
- Use unneeded fax cover sheets as memo pads and scratch sheets for staff.
- Upgrade computers to energy efficient models.
- Where possible, buy office products that are eco-friendly [i.e. cleaning products, paper, etc.].
- Use eco-friendly cleaning products in the office; invest in extra product for night cleaning crews to use.
- Before purchasing new furniture, perform a company-wide audit to see if pieces from other offices can be used instead.
- Put office lights on dimmers to reduce electrical costs and sustain bulb life.
- When possible and geography permitting, rely on the cool breeze of spring and fall [all year-round in LA!] instead of running the air conditioner.
- Invest in a personal water bottle and coffee cup in order to save on the number of wasted paper cups.
- When possible and with the approval of the Client, donate leftover merchandise, packaged foods and unopened beverages to local charities and/or or a charity of the Client’s choice.
- Use the maximum available recycled content for Xerox and fax machines.
- When appropriate and with the Client’s consent, use sustainable products for production and decor materials.
- Encourage Clients to make carbon offset contributions based on final project execution plan; calculation based on event freight, air/automotive travel and trucking needs.